TEX-MEX SKILLET
An easy dinner made all in one skillet. This Tex-Mex Skillet is loaded with chicken, rice, all the spices, and queso cheese!
Y’all, I am totally not ready for summer! I love looking out my window beside my desk at the bare trees. I love the cold breezes and the chilly mornings. I am gonna miss it so much. Living in Florida it gets hot quick, and I’m just not ready for that at all. I know those of you who are still buried under snow are thinking that I’m crazy, but this is all coming from someone who hardly gets a really good winter.
I plan on one of these days heading north for part of the winter, and enjoying hot chocolate by the fire, while watching the snow fall out the window. Building a snowman until my fingers are numb, and enjoying a real snowball fight! I’ve never had a snowball fight, but I’ve built plenty of snowmen. I grew up in central Alabama where I saw a blizzard in 1993, which was the best thing ever! Plus we had plenty of dustings here and there, and an inch or two every year or so. So I’m no newbie to snow. I just haven’t been in it since my youngest was a toddler.
The last snow we were in, we drove to central Alabama to visit my parents because they were guaranteed snow. It was quick, it came in, dropped several inches, and then was outta there. And by outta there, I mean it melted by that evening. Totally depressing, but we were thrilled that we got to frolic in it!

Ingredients
  1. 1 tablespoon olive oil
  2. 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
  3. 2 teaspoons chili powder
  4. 1 teaspoon cumin
  5. 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika regular paprika is fine, if you don't have smoked
  6. 1/2 teaspoon salt
  7. 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  8. 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  9. 1/4 teaspoon oregano
  10. 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  11. 1/2 cup chicken broth
  12. 1 cup heavy cream
  13. 2 cups isntant rice
  14. 1 cup store bought queso blanco, metled it's usually in a small tub, found with the queso fresco cheese
  15. 1 cup chunky salsa We use mild, but you can spice it up by using hot
  16. 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
  17. 1 cup 4 cheese Mexican shredded We really like Sargento
Instructions
  1. In a large skillet over medium high heat, add the olive oil, and cook the chicken cubes until they are no longer pink. Add all of your spices, and toss to coat the chicken. Remove the chicken from the pan, and set aside.
  2. Pour in the chicken broth, and scrape the bits from the bottom of the pan. Pour in the whipping cream, rice, melted queso, and salsa. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes, or until the rice is fully cooked. 
  3. Once the rice is cooked, stir in 1/4 cup of the chopped cilantro and chicken. Top with the shredded cheese, and the remaining 1/4th cup of the cilantro. Cover, and allow to rest for 5 minute, so the cheese can melt on top.
Recipe Source:everydaymadefresh.com