5-Star Cheeseburger Casserole
It’s all American cheeseburger time…
You know how much I adore casseroles? Seriously. Casseroles are any mother’s dream. You just throw everything together into one dish and wa-la…it’s done! It’s delicious. Unless, of course, it’s goulash. Who grew up with goulash casserole? Then you might know what I’m talking about. I had that po’-man dish so often growing up that I was turned off. I was sure that when I grew up and out of the home I’d be done with it. I was wrong. I was a missionary in Austria when a family served my companion and I goulash. When I heard the word g-o-u-l-a-s-h, I was like, gah! Please don’t make me eat it!! But, of course, that would be rude! So I ate it. And guess what? I was a new-born goulash lover. You haven’t tasted goulash until you’ve tasted it in Austria. I’m just saying. I’m sure Hungarians will disagree.
Anyhoo, how in the heck did I get from casseroles to goulash? Let’s back track here and talk casseroles.
Who has time to make lavish weekday meals when there are important things to do like watch trashy reality TV or prepare for the zombie apocalypse? Or maybe even eat those leftover Cadbury eggs? Don’t look in my closet, though…you just might find a lot of empty Cadbury wrappers. No peaking. You know what I’m saying? It’s so nice to have quick and easy meals, like this 5-star cheeseburger casserole, so you have more time for important things in life.
I think you’ll love this easy ground beef recipe. Not only is it quick and easy, but it’s also low in fat and calories. How many cheeseburgers have you eaten that are low in fat and calories? Not many, I’m sure! This delicious dinner gives you all of the taste of an all-American hamburger without all of the fat.
5-Star Cheeseburger Casserole
Prep time 20 mins
Cook time 15 mins
Total time 35 mins
Author: Bakerette.com
Recipe type: Main Dish
Cuisine: American
Serves: 9

Ingredients
  • 2 cups (6 ounces) uncooked rotini pasta (spiral pasta)
  • 2 teaspoons canola oil
  • 1 1/2 cups onions, finely chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 pound 95% lean ground beef
  • 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
  • 2 tablespoons ketchup
  • 4-5 large Roma tomatoes, deseeded and diced
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 2 cups low fat cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 1/4 cup dill pickles, finely chopped
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
  2. Boil the pasta in a large pot according to packaged directions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
  3. In a large skillet on medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add the onion and saute until onions are transparent. Add the garlic and stir about 30 seconds until fragrant.
  4. Stir in the ground beef and fully cook through until brown. If using 95% lean ground beef, there is no need to drain. But if you are using a less fat version, drain the fat and return to the stove.
  5. Stir in the seasoned salt, ketchup and mustard until well combined. Add the chopped tomatoes. Reduce heat and simmer for approximately 2 minutes or until the mixture is thickened.
  6. Add the cooked and drained noodles to the meat and stir well. Pour into the prepared baking pan and evenly sprinkle the cheese across the top. Bake in the oven for approximately 15 minutes or until cheese has melted. Remove from the oven and slightly cool before serving. Top with chopped dill pickle.
Recipe adapted from Bobby Deen: From Mama’s Table to Mine

more recipes @ http://bakerette.com